The view is almost too much to bear. Almost, but yet not. The sky a deep solid, tangible blue overhead, with not a cloud, fading to a slight mistiness near the horizon, which is punctured by razor-edged islands that rise black against the light. The Sea picks up the colours, twists them into turquoise, indigo and cobalt, then flings them back up towards the Sun, which presides over all in its sultry magnificence.
The Sea. That’s the meaning, in the ancient Sanskrit language, of Akuvara, this delightful jewel of a villa next to Haad Lipa Noi, Samui’s prettiest yet quietest beach – a stretch of near-white sand edged with straight-soaring coconut palms and gently whispering casuarina trees.
Akuvara is not as grand as some other villas in the area, not as show-off. Its scale is more compact, more friendly, you might say; more approachable, more livable. For a family or a small group of friends this Samui villa, with its 13 x 5-metre infinity-view pool, is the perfect tropical beachside getaway.
Its architecture is simple, modern and uncluttered, with whole walls consisting entirely of glass to take full advantage of that glorious sea view.
Modern it may be, but the lovingly kept garden and the sand-coloured pathways that lead through it blend the whole calmly into the landscape. Friendly statues dot the lawns that separate the four bedroom pavilions, and ten-times-lifesize, whimsically colourful tokay gecko bas-reliefs climb the walls to surprise and delight the unwary.
Akuvara is not all about lazing in the sun, of course. There’s a kayak for the more adventurous to explore the Sea, and games of pool, beach football or beach volleyball are all easy to organise. And that’s not forgetting the many delights of Samui Island that lie within easy reach by car. Nowhere is far.
As the sun leaves its throne and slides down the canopy of the sky, the colours change to the brilliant oranges, pinks, reds and greens of a spectacular tropical sunset. It’s probably time for sundowners overlooking the sea.
|Category||Date Range||Rate||Min stay|
|Apr 21 - Jun 30||Apr 21, 2021 to Jun 30, 2021||$600 per Night||2 Nights|
|Category||Date Range||Rate||Min stay|
|Apr 21 - Jun 30||Apr 21, 2021 to Jun 30, 2021||$750 per Night||2 Nights|
|Service Charge and Tax||17.70%|
|Check-in time:||15:00||Check-out time:||12:00|
|Suite 1 | Master||1 King||2 Guests|
|Suite 2 | Upstairs Suite||1 King||2 Guests|
|Suite 3||1 King||2 Guests|
|Suite 4||2 Single||2 Guests|
|Bathroom 1||Toilet, Tub, Shower|
|Bathroom 2||Toilet, Tub, Shower|
|Bathroom 3||Toilet, Shower|
|Bathroom 4||Toilet, Shower|
Lipa Noi, Thailand
Koh Samui is not a big island – it’s just under 230 square kilometres, and much of that is still pristine forest-covered hillside – but it offers a wealth of fun and interesting things to do.
Here are some suggestions.
- Dusit Deva Cultural Centre is a slightly eccentric garden filled with creatures from Buddhist and Hindu myths. Kids will love it.
- Koh Samui has two golf courses; Santiburi (18 holes and really distracting ocean views), and Bophut Hills (nine holes).
- Treat the family to Sunday Brunch by the pool at the internationally famed Nikki Beach Club, just a few minutes away along the beach.
- Visit nearby Nathon Walking Street Night Market on Thursdays or the bigger Fisherman’s Village Night Market in Bophut on Fridays.
- Go island hopping! The Ang Thong National Marine Park encompasses a cluster of islands – the ones you can see from Akuvara . The heavily jungled islands are carefully controlled to keep them in pristine natural condition. A trip to them is a must.
- There’s a kite surfing school on the beach at Nathon where you can rent a rig or learn how to do it.
- Regular Thai boxing tournaments are staged at the largest stadium on the island, the Petch Buncha near Chaweng. These are not tourist demo fights; they are the real thing.
- Samui has a number of spectacular waterfalls. We would recommend starting with the Namuang Falls. Take your bathing costume; there’s a very inviting pool at the base of the falls.
- Have an adventure atop Khao Pom mountain on ATVs or the zipline, or just gaze out at the scenery below from the viewpoint.
Talk to us: 1-800-208-5097