If you’ve landed on a luxury villa in the Caribbean for your next vacation, you’re certainly in for a treat: from top-notch beaches to water sports, hiking, cave exploration, stunning landscapes, delicious local food, music, rum, and more- there is truly something for everyone. But when preparing for your trip, knowing what to pack really helps. Here’s what to take with you, whether you’re headed anywhere from Jamaica to St. Lucia to Barbados, or beyond.
What to Bring in your Carry-On
- Headphones are invaluable on any flight if you’d like to fend off boredom for the average four hours it takes to make it to most of the islands.
- A water bottle—because staying hydrated en route to a warm, gorgeous place needs no justification.
- Be sure to pack your toiletry bag, a change of clothing, and a bathing suit in your carry-on just in case your luggage is delayed en route to your airport or villa. Lounging poolside is always the best way to wait.
- Always carry small bills for tipping cab drivers and other service providers.
1. Comfy Footwear
- Comfy slip-on shoes or sneakers are perfectly suited to days spent traveling, walking around town, or casual dinners.
- Be sure to bring a good pair of flip-flops for the beach and general lazing about.
- Some consider protective water shoes a must in case of activities that involve walking in the waves.
- You’ll be happy you brought a pair of chic sandals or dressy shoes/heels for those nights at fancy restaurants, or out dancing.
- Even if you’re a pants person, you’ll definitely want a few pairs of shorts when traveling to the sunny Caribbean. Athletic ones for hikes or water activities, and chinos or jean shorts for nights out.
- Same goes for tank tops and/or t-shirts.
- Don’t neglect to pack at least one light sweater for evenings or cooler days, which do happen now and again.
- Dresses/skirts/chino pants for formal restaurants.
- Pack at least two swimsuits so you’re never without a fresh, dry one when you need it.
- Since it does rain in the Caribbean, be sure to pack a compact umbrella or a light raincoat.
- A brimmed hat and sunglasses are both a great idea when it comes to ever-important protection from the hot sun.
3. Don’t Forget your Toiletries
- It’s never a bad idea to travel with anti-histamines, anti-acids, and pain killers—just in case.
- Mosquitos are common in the Caribbean, so you’ll want heavy-duty bug spray and anti-itch cream.
- Sunscreen, of course, and aloe gel for sun aftercare is a huge bonus.
- If you’re planning to take photos and videos on your phone, bring a backup charger.
- A waterproof watch can be a real asset when you want to keep track of the time but would rather keep your phone safely away from the beach.
- If you’re going to a non-US island, packing an adapter may be smart. Opt for one that also has USB ports for multi-use charging.
Most importantly of all—be sure to bring your sense of good fun! Contact us at Rental Escapes today to learn more about the incredible luxury villas available in your Caribbean destination of choice.